Obituary – Rev. F. F. Barrett
Frank F. Barrett was born at Milan, Ohio, October 20, 1850. He fitted himself for college at Galesburg, Ill. In 1864 though only a lad of fourteen, his patriotism and love of country led him to seek admittance to the army. His request for admission was not refused and he joined the 137th Illinois Infantry, as a drummer boy. Shortly after the close of the war he entered Beloit College, graduating in the class of ’71. From there he went to Chicago and spent the two following years studying law. Although this was his chosen profession there was a conviction that he ought to entry the ministry, and so in 1877 he entered Yale College and spent the three years subsequent there and at Union Theological Seminary, NY, pursuing theological studies. His first pastorate was at Evansville, Wis., and then followed Dubuque and Marshalltown, Iowa. He had been having considerable trouble with his throat, so gave up his pastorate and went to Milwaukee for the purpose of receiving treatment. While there he received a call to preach from the Pilgrim Congregational church in that city, and became its first pastor. The summer of 1888 was spent in Europe. Returning to this country the following summer, he took charge of the Madison Squire Presbyterian church in San Antonio, Texas. His reason for locating so far south was upon the advice of his physician.
He was united in marriage, Oct. 1, 1889, with Miss Edith Millard of Milwaukee. Three children were born to them, all of whom are living.
In San Antonio the position of a northern pastor was a very delicate one, yet he left there with the very highest testimonials of the entire pastorate of the city. Resigning his charge in the spring of 1891 he came north, and in the autumn of that year came to Prairie du Sac where he has been ever since. In February, 1895 providence saw fit to remove his beloved companion from him. Though this stroke was an exceedingly severe one, he bore up under it with that fortitude which ever characterized the man.
Of his ministry in this place but little need be said. He ever had the welfare of his people foremost, and sought ever to upbuild the church and community. In turn no pastor was ever more highly esteemed by his people and all classes than was he. Since his pastorate here the church has more than doubled its membership.
He died very suddenly Sunday, March 13, from an affection of the heart. He had no premonition of this fatal attack, and passed away leaving no parting word to family or parish. The funeral services were held in his own dear church Wednesday, March 16. Rev. H. E. Erffmeyer, pastor of the Eveangelical church, spoke of Mr. Barrett as a pastor and fellow citizen; Rev. Dr. Campbell of Lodi, paid a touching tribute to him as a coworker; Rev. W.J. Turner, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Kilbourn, preached a very nice sermon that was greatly appreciated by the large number of people present. The remains were interred beside those of his companion in the village cemetery.